Thursday, July 26, 2018

Crafting the Message

I have really been focused on the importance of relationships in my life. It seems the older I get, the more value and emphasis I put on this aspect of my life. This goes for my family, my brothers and sisters I worship with weekly, fellow educators, friends, and anybody else that I come in contact with on a regular basis. Nurturing and maintaining healthy relationships are critical for balance in my life. At the core of these relationships is communication. As an educator, it is critical that what I say and what I am trying to convey is received the right way by those that I am communicating with. One thing that I learned early in my career from a seasoned educator is the practice of "crafting the message" to any and all stakeholders when communicating. Sometimes even our verbal or written responses to others may require a degree of separation from the matter before saying or sending our replies. If not careful about how the message is crafted, it can lead to some contentious interactions at that given time and in the future that are not conducive for a solid relationship with that other person.

Stay tuned, the next several blog posts will consist of concrete examples of "When Blunt Goes Wrong." Many situations require careful crafting of the message!

No comments:

Post a Comment