Monday, July 23, 2018

Transition

The more I reflect on the concept of "leaders are readers and writers," I have came to the blunt realization that outside of my doctoral work, I don't write enough. I have personally embarked on a new journey that starts today, and that is to blog every day for a year. My blog will just be an outlet and reflection piece for myself, regardless of the length or content (it all won't be about education). Here goes!

Transition can be hard as an educator. So much comes to your mind during transition time in the form of questions. Is this the right move? Will my replacement look after the kids like I have? Am I letting the staff that I serve down by leaving? All of these are valid questions. In my latest transition from an AP at a middle school south of where I reside to an AP at an elementary school north of where I reside, I have found that all transition is good for at least one party involved. I loved my former role, primarily the students, families, staff, and community. I never want to be known as a "job hopper," but in that same token, I don't want to be my own worst enemy either with not seeking opportunities for growth and advancement. Contrary to what some want us to believe, lateral moves aren't always bad or neutral. I have just experienced a lateral move that shows tremendous professional growth opportunities behind the scenes that don't necessarily equate to growth opportunities for position advancement.

I just completed my first week in my new position that involved a "lateral move." Not taking anything away from my previous role in my previous district, but in just my first week alone, I've grown in aspects like never before. Below is a detailed description of 2 activities the first week that stuck out to me.

1. My Principal brought me into a meeting with a district office administrator along with her other AP. The meeting focused on staffing needs and concerns for next year and requests. In my prior role, I would have never been afforded this opportunity due to only Principals primarily meeting with district office administrators. My Principal's perspective is that these are the meetings that her AP's need to experience to benefit them from a learning and preparation for the future principalship standpoint.
2. I was able to jump right into 2 district admin book studies that meet once a week. The books are Culturize by Jimmy Casas and the Leadership Gap by Lolly Daskal. Even though the 2 book study groups are already several meetings in, I was able to obtain the books a day prior to the weekly meeting. It was an awesome experience to be able to discuss topics and concepts from the books with other AP's and Principals of the district AND the Superintendent.

These 2 things stood out to me because they embody my belief system in how collaboration among educators should happen in order to push our thinking and boundaries of education. I was allowed to "learn." As educators, we stress everyday learning to our students. This "lateral" move has allowed me to learn everyday that I have been in this new role.

I look forward to what week 2 will bring.

1 comment:

  1. Jerod, what a great opportunity to grow. It is funny how a change (even lateral) can make all the difference in the world. Connecting with other leaders who are willing to grow, challenge each other, and be inclusive is so powerful. Congratulations and good luck with your new adventure.

    ReplyDelete