Sunday, December 28, 2014

Success in 2015


I have spent an enormous amount of time throughout this year reflecting on the professional and personal aspects of my life. However, I have failed to put pen to paper on a regular basis and
utilizing my blog. It is never too late to start though.
I was internally urged to write this evening after reading a blog post written by the great Glenn Robbins (@Glennr1809). The link to this blog post is http://connectedleadlearner.blogspot.com/2014/12/onward-to-2015.html,  This has been an extremely busy year for my family and I. We have been juggling the following events since January:
  • I was finishing my coursework for my M. Ed in Educational Leadership from January through March. I graduated in June.
  • My wife’s schedule at work fluctuated from month to month due to certain circumstances.
  • My daughters are finally in the same school in the Chinese Immersion program. My oldest (London) started the 2nd grade, and my youngest (Madison) started the 1st grade. I try to help them with their homework every evening when I arrive home.
  • I started my Ed.D. in Educational Leadership & Management program in August.
  • I was my school’s head football coach this season.
  • In my building, I transitioned from a 8th grade math teacher to the Dean of Students the day after Labor Day.
A sense of tiredness and fatigue falls over me just thinking about all of the above. This journey has taught me a lot about perseverance and working hard with a purpose. I had to keep reminding myself that I need to always make sure that my wife and kids aren’t feeling neglected as I pursue different things in my professional career. There were times that my wife had to stay late at work or go back in at midnight due to certain circumstances. Often times she felt bad because she knew there were projects or papers that I needed to get done, but supporting her work and dreams are just as important as the ambitions I have. I never want to forget that.
My word for 2015 is Balance. I will still be juggling all of the above in 2015, and a healthy balance is integral to keeping a strong marriage, a great relationship with my kids, and grow professionally and build my brand as an administrator to be. My prayers are that I can be someone’s associate principal sometime during 2015. The more balanced my life is before entering that position, the better assistant I will be to the Lead Learner of the school, and the better I will be for the students, staff, and community.
Balance will apply to everything I do. In addition to aspiring to become an administrator in 2015, my daughters want to begin ballet and karate (I would like them to explore field hockey, but they are not excited about that), my wife wants to explore the real estate business on a part time basis, and our son has just entered the “terrible 2’s” stage. My wife and I have conversations everyday about how we can accomplish these goals, and still have time to do the things we love to do as a family (Church activities and services, date nights, day trips for the kids, etc.). I believe that we can be great at everything we put our minds to as a result of our passion. We plan to be great in 2015 in order to help, inspire, and encourage others.


The love of my life. She supports me in all of my endeavors, and it can be quite the juggling act.

My princesses are always eager to learn and tell me about their day! They are growing up too fast.

This little man keeps us all on our toes!

The place where I strive to touch the lives of kids every chance that I get.

This is where I started the year, and have been since 2010.

This is where I am now as the Dean of Students. I took this picture right before I started moving in.

This is where my coaching staff and I worked hard to instill real life lessons and values into many young men.

2014 CMS Senators

Our super power is teaching! What's yours?

1 comment: